On my way out, in bullet-point format

I promised myself I'd never turn this into a link dump, but I've got a lot to say and none of it original to me. I'll be out of town all weekend partaking in the legendary Chiditarod. For bookkeeping purposes, olde Gregg—responsible for that sweet skirts blog I mentioned—was a key cog in the perpetual winning machine, Corporate Dalliances, and the riveting story of their takeover is here. But when I come back expect to hear my thoughts on why Conor Oberst became such a chump and why his saga more or less ruined modern folk for a minute or three.

But anyway. First and foremost, be sure to check out Andrew Dambeck's new soul mixtape. Maybe not his most immediately accessible, but the readers of this blog should be far past that type of thing by now.

Secondly, least I forget the major goings-on in Madison while I'm away this weekend. Zola Jesus has been getting some major back-scratching from the folks at Pitchfork lately, not to mention the inclusion of her last LP on Gareth Campesinos!' own best-of-year list, in which he says, "I don't even know what to say about this. Nika Roza is an incredible talent. I'm dying to see what she comes up with next." Well, she's also from Madison and younger than myself, and the goth singer is hosting the release party for her Stridulent EP at the Project Lodge at 7:30 p.m. this Saturday. I don't much get into goth pop all that much, but I'm still terribly jealous of everyone who gets to go to this.

Also, I have e-mail confirmation that the support for Los Campesinos! at the Majestic is none other than the group responsible for The Daily Cardinal's #1 album of 2009, Cymbals Eat Guitars. And while I can't necessarily defend its placement as the best album of the year, I can certainly attest that it was my favorite, and it legitimately did garner the votes to vault it over Dirty Projectors without any hint of foul play. I saw CEG with the Depreciation Guild and the Pains of Being Pure at Heart at the Stage Door last Summer and, among other things, their singer is real, real sweaty. Also, they were real, real good. Oh, and I've got an interview with Ellen Campesinos! on Monday, in case you were wondering. I was hoping they'd give me Harriet, but whatever.

The Hold Steady is announced for Summerfest, which is cool.

And last but most certainly not least, the latest wave of bands performing at the Pitchfork Music Festival was announced today and it damn near killed me. In no particular order, Broken Social Scene, Titus Andronicus, Freddie Gibbs, the Smith Westerns and Girls were all added to the Pavement-loaded bill, among several others. Three-day passes are long gone, but you can still pick up single-day passes here. But I have a feeling if it took you this long to get tickets to see Pavement we won't be hanging out much anyways.

Oh, and for those of you who were concerned: I slayed that social movements midterm.

1 comment:

  1. Route map and final logistics posted - http://chiditarod.org

    ReplyDelete